Download PDF | Downoads: 63
Highlights:• • Discrimination due to the personal factors is becoming less important in today's economy and economic discrimination is becoming increasingly urgent, through which the employer maximizes the return on employee expenses.
• Economic discrimination can take the following forms: monopsonistic discrimination, statistical discrimination, market-based discrimination.
• Monopsonistic discrimination means that the employer with the information on the elasticity of the labour supply of employees, differentiates the employees wages with equal efficiency on the basis of their "supply prices".
• The cause of statistical discrimination is the information asymmetry in favor of the applicant. In this situation, the employer decides to hire based on average characteristics of the group that the employee is a part of.
• The cause of marked-based discrimination is the cost of finding a job. As the under-informed applicant does not wish to bear these costs, he/she will agree to a lower salary than the applicant who has more information.
• Statistical discrimination reduces motivation to invest in human capital and increases the motivation of applicants to invest in information signals that distinguish them from the social group.
• The employer's advantage of having awareness about the employee's productivity over other employers increases his monopoly power over him.
• Members of the social group who have been statistically discriminated against are motivated to migrate to labour markets where information on discriminatory grounds is unavailable.
Abstract:The author studies the types and causes of labour market discrimination associated with its information non-transparency, as well as its effects. There are following types of discrimination: monopsonistic, statistical and market-based. It is shown that they occur due to information causes. Effects of statistical discrimination have been analysed. A conclusion was made that the employees who are discriminated against lose their motivation to invest in human capital, but wish to invest in giving a positive information signal. It has been proven that the employees in the discriminated group are seeking to enter markets where employers will not be able to get information on non-occupational grounds.
Keywords:discrimination, information asymmetry, labor market, remote employment, statistical discrimination
JEL-Classification: J01, J31, L15
References (transliterated):Akerlof G. (1970). The Market for «Lemons»: Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism Quarterly Journal of Economics. 84 (3). 488-500.
Anokhov I.V. (2016). Firma kak idealnaya sistema [Company as a perfect system]. News of the Irkutsk State Economic Academy (Scientific Journal of Baikal State University). 26 (4). 541-549. (in Russian). doi: 10.17150/2500- 2759.2016(4).541-549.
Arrow K. (1963). Uncertainty and the Welfare Economics of Medical Care American Economic Review. 53 941-973.
Becker G.S. (1957). The Economics of Discrimination Chicago: Chicago University Press.
Bylkov V.G. (2017). Predlozhenie na rynke truda: metodologiya, priroda formirovaniya [Offer on the labour market: methodology, the nature of formation]. Baikal Research Journal. 8 (4). (in Russian). doi: 10.17150/2411-6262.2017.8(4).1.
Diamond P.A. (1971). A Model of Price Adjustment Journal of Economic Theory. 3 (2). 156-168.
Esina Yu.L., Pankin P.V. (2017). Faktory migratsionnoy nagruzki na rynok truda [Factors of migration pressure on the labor market]. Russian Journal of Labor Economics. 4 (4). 447-454. (in Russian). doi: 10.18334/et.4.4.38429.
Hayek F.A. (1937). Economics and Knowledge Economica. 4 33-54. doi: 10.2307/2548786.
Kapelyushnikov R.I. (1993). Ekonomicheskiy podkhod Geri Bekkera k chelovecheskomu povedeniyu [Gary Becker's economic approach to human behavior]. USA: Economy, Politics, Ideology. (11). 17-29. (in Russian).
Klepikova E.A., Kolosnitsyna M.G. (2017). Eydzhizm na rossiyskom rynke truda: diskriminatsiya v zarabotnoy plate [Ageism in the Russian labour market: wage discrimination]. Russian Management Journal. 15 (1). 69-88. (in Russian). doi: 10.21638/11701/spbu18.2017.104.
Sanford J. (1980). Grossman and Joseph E. Stiglitz On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets The American Economic Review. 70 (3). 393-408.
Spence M. (1973). Job market signaling Quarterly Journal of Economics. 87 (3). 355-374.
Stigler G.J. (1962). Information in the labor market Journal of Political Economy. 70 (5). 94-105. doi: 10.1086/258727.
Stiglits Dzh. (2003). Informatsiya i izmenenie paradigmy ekonomicheskoy teorii [Information and paradigm shift in economic theory]. Ecowest. 3 (3). 336-421. (in Russian).
Stiglitz J. (1976). Equilibrium in competitive insurance markets: an essay on the economics of imperfect information Quarterly Journal of Economics. 90 (4). 629-649. doi: 10.2307/1885326.
Sukhodolov A.P., Kolpakova L.A., Spasennikov B.A. (2017). Problemy protivodeystviya prestupnosti v sfere tsifrovoy ekonomiki [Issues of Counteracting Crimes in the Sphere of Digital Economy]. Vserossiyskiy kriminologicheskiy zhurnal. 11 (2). 258-267. (in Russian). doi: 10.17150/2500-4255.2017.11(2).258-267.
Trofimov E.A., Trofimova T.I. (2015). Ekonomiko-teoreticheskie aspekty faktorov migratsii rabochey sily [Economic and theoretical aspects of factors influencing labor migration]. News of the Irkutsk State Economic Academy (Scientific Journal of Baikal State University). 25 (4). 577-582. (in Russian). doi: 10.17150/1993- 3541.2015.25(4).577-582.
Trofimov E.A., Trofimova T.I. (2018). K voprosu o diskriminatsii na rossiyskom rynke truda [On the issue of discrimination in the Russian labour market]. Bulletin of Baikal State University. 28 (3). 419-425. (in Russian). doi: 10.17150/2500- 2759.2018.28(3).419-425.
Vickrey W. (1947). Agenda for Progressive Taxation New York: The Ronald Press Company.
Zarplata zhenskogo rodaKommersant. (in Russian). Retrieved from https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3423623
Issledovanie dokhodov frilanserov 2018Payoneer. Retrieved from https://explore.payoneer.com/ru/freelancer-income-survey-2018
Konventsiya N 111 Mezhdunarodnoy organizatsii truda "Otnositelnodiskriminatsii v oblasti truda i zanyatiy" ot 25.06.1958 gKonsultant Plyus. (in Russian). Retrieved from http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_120760